Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Acer Aspire 4715z CPU Upgrade

This old laptop has been my Linux workstation on my bedroom for a few months now. It still does the job I require from it - even after 6 years of service - though at times, it already slows down on certain tasks. To speed it up a bit and extend its productive life, I decided to look for a possible processor upgrade. I scoured through eBay and found a used T7700 from China priced at $16.99 including shipping, that's just PHP 772.65 at the time it's bought. The package arrived yesterday afternoon and it's time to see if it will speed up my workstation.

The package includes a thermal compound
Installation took around 10 minutes.

4 screws hold the whole heatpipe-fan assembly

Clean up the old thermal compound
It's also a good idea to clean up the rest of the assembly

The black latch locks the CPU in place

"New" CPU in place
Always take note of the orientation and avoid bending pins

"New" CPU recognized by the BIOS

I benchmarked both the T2370 and the T7700 using hardinfo and these are some of the results. 

T2370 CPU Blowfish

T7700 CPU Blowfish

T2370 CPU Cryptohash

T770 CPU Cryptohash

In real use, the speedup is instantly felt in browsing web sites using Flash. VirtualBox is no longer painfully slow when running virtual machines. Average temperature of the T7700 is higher than the T2370's, although the peak temperatures are much lower. Overall, it's worth a lot more than the price I paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment